The named GP is largely a role of oversight. It reassures patients they have one GP who is responsible for their care.
- Patients do not need to see their named GP when they book an appointment with the practice.
- Patients are entitled to choose to see any GP or nurse in the practice.
- The named GP works with relevant health and social care professionals to deliver a multi-disciplinary care package that meets the needs of the patient.
- The named GP ensures that these patients have access to a health check as set out in section 7.9 of the standard GMS contract.
- The named GP will not take on 24 hour responsibility for the patient, or have to change their working hours.